Saturday, August 23, 2008

Beware of "The Lazy Dater"

I was at the beach this morning around 7am, people watching…enjoying the weather and view. I saw the avid runners …those people that get up at the crack of dawn every morning and run or cycle. I also noticed the elderly couples riding and roller blading together. This sight made my heart smile…but it was the father and son running together that inspired this blog. These male role models were out riding bikes and running with their sons at 7:30 am.

The bible says “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it". Proverbs 22:6. But it starts before that. We have to make wise choices when we decide who we commit to and have children with. Are you dating someone who only wants to “chill”? They never have plans or take the initiative to do anything? Their idea of a special night is watching a DVD on the couch in the living room instead of in bed?

This lack of enthusiasm is usually a foreshadow of your future. Do you really think a person that plays video games, watches all fashion shows, and home shopping network is going to become more active when you have childern? I don’t have children, but it is not my understanding that they give you energy.

Robert Kiyosaki wrote a book called “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”. Now, I’m not hating on the brothers, but …here we go…"Active Dad, Lazy Dad".
  • Active Dad: gets up and takes the baby to the park. Although, the baby still doesn’t sleep through the night, he plans a full day anyway. He’s used to being up and out, so now he takes his child.
  • Lazy Dad: He’s used to sleeping in ‘til noon on his off day. So, now when his baby wakes up, he gives him some food, turns on the TV, and goes back to sleep.
Now, some parents just rolled their eyes, called me a name and/or said how would she know? You’re right, I don’t know. I’m just at the beach...observing the Mom and Dad jogging while pushing the stroller; the daughter racing her mom; the couple riding the couple’s bike together. Now, I’m not saying to dump your Boo and find a triathlete. Hopefully, this blog will spark a conversation. You can talk to your mate about the crazy blog you read today and get their opinion. I’m a 70’s baby. As a child, my motivation to do homework was being allowed to go outside and play. We came home smelling like outside: a combination of sweat, grass, dirt, candy, and car exhaust. I’m not mad at the kids of today. I would’ve wanted to play video games all day if I had a PS3 or Wii instead of the Atari. Although, looking back, my mom had my weekends planned out with music and dance classes. These are just my thoughts. I refuse to entertain the “Lazy Dater”.

1 comment:

Baker Watson said...

Just thought I would say 'Hi'. I left a reply comment on your post on the BloggerTalk forum. Welcome to the world of blogging.

Baker Watson